Parking Tickets FAQs

1. How do I contact someone for help with my parking citation?

If you have any questions regarding a parking citation you can call us to our 24 Hour Customer Care Hotline: (866) 561-9742 | TTY: (213) 623-7046​

2. Can I get a payment extension?

The Parking Violation Bureau does not grant payment extensions. A payment must be received within 21 days of the date the ticket was issued, or 14 days from the date of the first overdue notice. Otherwise, late fees will be added, which often double the ticket fine. Additional collections fees will be added if the ticket remains unpaid after the initial late penalty is assessed.

3. I have an overdue citation. Will my car get booted or towed away?

Your vehicle will only become eligible to be booted or towed if the vehicle has five or more delinquent tickets.

If you have fewer than five delinquent tickets, your vehicle will not be booted or towed. However, a hold will be placed on your annual Vehicle Registration until the tickets are paid.

4. I paid for my ticket at the DMV. Why did I get another late notice?

There is a significant delay (often 30-60 days) between the time a payment is made at the DMV and the time that the Parking Violations Bureau is notified of the payment. If you paid at the DMV, you can ignore the late notices, or bring your itemized DMV receipt to one of our Customer Service Centers.

5. I was told that it was too late to contest my ticket.  To whom can I appeal?

A motorist’s right to contest a parking citation is limited.  You must contest your citation either within 21 days of the date the citation was issued, or within 14 days of the date of the Notice of Delinquent Parking Violation, which is the first mailed notice.  If you submit your request for review after that time, you are not statutorily entitled to a review. 

If you were unable to submit your request for review before the deadline, you can request a late review.  You should submit proof as to why you were not able to comply with the deadline in addition to the information as to why you are contesting the citation.   Grounds could include: ​ you did not own the vehicle at the time the citation was issued, the sole registered owner of the vehicle died or an emergency prevented you from contesting within the time required. You cannot appeal if your request for an untimely review is denied.  Click here for information on how to contest a citation. 

6.  I sold this car. Why am I getting tickets in the mail?

If you were the registered owner at the time the ticket was issued, than you are responsible for the ticket. When you sell a vehicle, you are responsible for notifying the DMV that the vehicle is no longer in your possession, and for providing the DMV with the name and address of the new owner. If you continue to receive parking tickets for this vehicle, it is probably because the DMV still has your name on record as the legal owner. You must go to the DMV and fill out a Release of Liability. Once you have done so, you must also fill out a Declaration of Non-Ownership form, submit the documentation as listed on the form, and send it to the Parking Violations Bureau at the following address:

Parking Violations Bureau
P.O. Box 30420 
Los Angeles, CA 90030

You will find a Declaration of Non-Ownership on the back of each notice sent to you through the mail. You may also download a copy of the Declaration of Non-Ownership from this website. 

7. I have a financial hardship, do I have to prepay before requesting a hearing?

Hearing Payment Waivers are available for citizens whose financial situation qualifies them as a very low income household, using guidelines established by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. This waiver does NOT cancel your fine. It simply allows you to attend a Hearing without first paying the fine required by state law. If your ticket is found to be valid, you still must pay the fines.

You will be required to provide detailed income information as part of your payment waiver request. The Parking Violations Bureau will consider all forms of income, including parental support, while determining your eligibility for the waiver.

If you would like to request a waiver, you may do so by calling the Customer Service Hotline at any one of the following numbers:

(866) 561 - 9742
(213) 623 - 7046 TTY