The Development Review Division evaluates environmental studies and transportation impact analyses associated with land use development. Following project approvals, the division also clears project conditions, signs building permits, and reviews and approves site plans, roadway and traffic signal plans associated with land use proposals. LADOT Development Review fees may apply.
Transportation Impact Studies
The LADOT Development Review Division requires the preparation of either a focused technical analysis or a comprehensive transportation impact study (TIS) of proposed land use and transportation projects that may impact the efficiency and safety of the City’s transportation network.
Generally, LADOT uses the following criteria to determine which projects shall be evaluated:
- LADOT requires a technical analysis to determine potential transportation impacts and mitigation needs for projects that are estimated to generate an increase of 25 to 42 net vehicle trips during the morning or afternoon peak commute hour.
- LADOT requires a transportation impact study (TIS) prepared by a licensed traffic engineer that conforms to our TIS guidelines for projects that are estimated to generate 43 or more net peak hour vehicle trips. Traffic volume data may be available to assist the preparation of the TIS analysis.
- LADOT and the project applicant will identify mitigations to ameliorate significant impacts resulting from proposed projects. Those mitigations will be formally transmitted to the Department of City Planning and may become official conditions on the project’s approval.
See the City of Los Angeles Transportation Impact Study Guidelines for detailed information on TIS evaluation criteria, requirements, and mitigation measures.
Mitigating Transportation Impacts
While mitigation for projects estimated to generate transportation impacts depend on specific characteristics, measures may include one or more of the following:
- Trip reduction measures
- Transit, bicycle, and/or pedestrian improvements
- Shared mobility program improvements
- Lane restriping
- New traffic signal installation
- Existing traffic signal modification (e.g. left turn phasing)
- Traffic signal system upgrade
- Parking management strategies
- Monetary contributions to existing transit, shared mobility, capital, operations and maintenance
Development Review Offices
For additional information about the development review process, contact LADOT Development Review staff at the appropriate office:
LADOT Citywide One-Stop Counter
201 N. Figueroa Street, 5th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Metro Development Review
All areas south of Mulholland Drive and east of Robertson Boulevard
100 S. Main Street, 9th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 972-8482 or (213) 972-8481
Fax (213) 972-8418
West Los Angeles Development Review
All areas south of Mulholland Drive and west of Robertson Boulevard including San Pedro
7166 W. Manchester Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Fax (213) 485-1285
Valley Development Review
San Fernando Valley (north of Mulholland Drive)
6262 Van Nuys Boulevard, 3rd Floor
Van Nuys, CA 91401
Fax (818) 374-4696