LADOT News

Weekly Update: February 17, 2022

Weekly Update: February 17, 2022

LADOT's Taxi Reform Adopted by LA City Council

This week, the Los Angeles City Council approved LADOT's proposed changes to the city’s taxi permitting system. As adopted, the updated rules will represent the first major changes to LA’s taxi regulations since the 1990’s.

The reforms approved include significant changes to the current taxi system in Los Angeles and were designed to improve competitiveness of taxis as a mode of transportation while maintaining safety and environmental standards as well as a fee structure to support a living wage for drivers.

For details of what's included in the reform, click here.

 
L.A. Prepares to Lower Speed Limits on Certain Streets

L.A. Prepares to Lower Speed Limits on Certain Streets

This week L.A. City Council Transportation Committee approved a life-saving proposal by LADOT to repeal and reduce speed limit increases on dozens of local streets. The proposal will reduce speeds by 5mph on over 177 miles of city streets that had previously been increased, as required by the state to ensure enforceability. The proposal comes as a result of the passage of AB 43, authored by Asm. Laura Friedman, which grants cities more local control of speed setting and took effect this year. The speed reductions will help the city address its street safety goals.

LADOT’s proposed speed limit reductions will now go to the full City Council for approval. If adopted, road users can expect the installation of new, reduced speed limits to begin one month after approval.

California State Assembly Bill (AB) 43 was written and introduced by Asm. Laura Friedman. Prior to AB 43’s passage, California's 85th percentile rule forced LADOT to raise speed limits on nearly 200 miles of city streets over the last several years. Under new laws the City can choose to retain a street’s existing speed limit following traffic speed studies, as long as that speed limit was established by a prior survey and no lanes have been added to the street.

The speed of a vehicle is closely tied with the severity of a collision. A pedestrian has a 90% chance of surviving when hit by a vehicle going 20 mph and only a 10% chance of survival if a vehicle is going 40mph. Lower speeds on streets give drivers and others more time to react to prevent a collision and reduce the severity of collisions that do occur.

The full list of streets where speed reductions are proposed is available in this LADOT report. Under the new speed setting law, future reductions will be possible on streets with high rates of fatal or severe injury collisions as well as in areas with a high density of retail and commercial activity.

 
Young Angelenos Encouraged To Join The L.A. Youth Council

Young Angelenos Encouraged To Join The L.A. Youth Council

The LA City Youth Council is accepting applications for its first cohort. Young Angelenos between the ages of 16-25 are encouraged to apply.

The Olivia Mitchell LA City Youth Council is part of the Youth Development Department and Department of Neighborhood Empowerment that will give city youth the opportunity to help develop policies, practices, and programs that will improve the quality of life for our youth.

Members of the Youth Council will serve for one year and become educated on municipal government practices, participate in special projects and give recommendations to the City Council and Mayor. The Council will consist of 30 members, two from each of the 15 districts.

The application closes on February 28th. To learn more visit youthcouncil.lacity.org

Application for the Youth Council is available here.

 
African American Heritage Month Community Spotlight: South LA Cafe

African American Heritage Month Community Spotlight: South LA Cafe

As we continue to celebrate African American Heritage Month, this week we want to spotlight one of the many black-owned businesses making an impact in the community.

South LA Cafe, owned by Celia and Joe-Ward Wallace, have dedicated their efforts to fighting racial, social, economic, and food inequity through coffee, community, and connection in South Central.

Offering more than just coffee, South LA Cafe also provides food and groceries to the community of South Central and helps keep the culture of the neighborhood alive as a Hubspot for events and activism. Currently, the business is offering COVID-19 tests and vaccines to help slow the spread of the virus.

South LA Cafe is more than just coffee, it's coffee with a cause.

Learn more about South LA Cafe

 
Figueroa St. Bike Lane Installation

Figueroa St. Bike Lane Installation

Last week our LADOT crews began the restriping work on North Figueroa St. between San Fernando Rd and Avenue 39 for the upcoming installation of bike lanes. This will allow for a safer, more comfortable ride for bikers as we continue to improve connections between communities and the LA River bike path. The new bike lanes installed will not reduce the number of travel lanes or the availability of parking in the area.

 
LADOT Traffic Enforcement Study Advisory Task Force

LADOT Traffic Enforcement Study Advisory Task Force

The City is looking for applicants interested in improving traffic safety in Los Angeles. LADOT is developing a Community Advisory Task Force that will study and recommend new policies for traffic enforcement alternatives to armed enforcement. We are looking for applicants with expertise and lived experience in areas of traffic safety, public health, racial equity, mental health, public safety, and criminal justice. Selected members will receive a modest stipend for the work they do such as attending meetings and working with the consultant on the study. The final day to submit an application is Feb 25, 2022. You may submit your application here.

 

Participate in our Community Surveys:

You are the ultimate expert for your community. LADOT wants your input as we plan projects to improve the safety, sustainability, and livability of Los Angeles communities.

 

Community Information Meeting - Santa Monica Blvd Project

Community Information Meeting - Santa Monica Blvd Project

Caltrans proposes to repave Santa Monica Boulevard (State Route 2), and upgrade approximately 400 curb ramps to current Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards along Santa Monica Boulevard and more. The meeting will take place on Thursday, February 17 2022 from 6 to 7 PM via a Online platform, if interested please register here.

 

Wilmington Safe Street Survey

Wilmington Safe Street Survey

Anaheim Street, from Figueroa St to Henry Ford Ave has had a high rate of death and severe injury traffic crashes. Since you are the expert in your neighborhood we want to hear from you. Let us know your thoughts, concerns, and ideas about how to improve accessibility and safety in the Wilmington neighborhood by taking this brief survey.

 

Ventura-Cahuenga Specific Plan

Ventura-Cahuenga Specific Plan

Now's the time to give your feedback. City Planning is asking for your help to confirm drafts created for the Specific Plan Amendment and your input on what you would like to see in the Ventura-Cahuenga Corridor. Take the surveys to help take a closer look at the sidewalks and make note of anything that can prevent safe travel along the area. Specific Plan Amendment

 

710 Mobility Hub Plan

710 Mobility Hub Plan

The purpose of this plan is to improve mobility and quality of life in the heavily congested region surrounding the northern end of the 710 Freeway. Give your feedback in this survey to help identify other locations that will benefit from future Mobility Hub that will offer more transportation options for the community. Learn more about the Mobility Hub Plan here.

 

Transportation Photos of the Week

Transportation Photos Of The Week

 

Transportation Photos Of The Week Photo 1

 

Transportation Photos Of The Week Photo 3
Transportation Photos Of The Week Photo 2

 

Transportation Photos Of The Week Photo 4
 

The LADOT Weekly Brief Newsletter

Want to learn more about LADOT's ongoing work in the City of Los Angeles? Sign up for our weekly newsletter by filling out the form below.